Are you interested in sponsoring a refugee family? Any community group or group of five individuals can sponsor a refugee family. To sponsor a family, you need a desire to help and a one-year commitment to take care of all the family’s financial and other needs. Here is an information package about private sponsorship created by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough. For more information on sponsoring refugees, please contact our Settlement Services Coordinator.
Information, Readings and Webinars
- The webinar "Is there a refugee crisis in Europe, or just a crisis in the lack of refugee protection?" by Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill was recorded live by the Oxford Human Rights Hub (firstname.lastname@example.org) and is now archived and available for you to view here. For those interested in learning more on refugees, aslyum-seekers, the EU and the UNHCR, Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill have prepared a list of further readings.
- Refugee Sponsorship Training Program
- Country of Origin information
- Settlement Plan Worksheet
Community Counselling & Resource Centre Housing Support
Below is a message from the Community Counselling & Resource Centre:
We are able to assist PSRs financially as long as they meet the fund criteria outlined below:
- We pay directly to the landlord or service provider
- The lease or utility account is in the client’s name
- The client is not in receipt of social assistance
- Their income is below the limit
- We have documentation of their arrears or need for last month’s rent
- They are outside of their one-year sponsorship term
What this means is that we need to complete applications for them AFTER they have received their final income payment from their support group, AFTER they have applied for and been accepted for OW and BEFORE they have received any payment from OW. It’s a small window of eligibility and can be tricky to work out, but with enough advance notice we can work it out.
Eligible expenses include:
- Last month’s rent
- Rent arrears
- Hydro or gas arrears
- Moving costs up to $200 (paid directly to the family)
- Purchase of beds up to $200 per household member (paid directly to the family)
- Maximum total allocation per family is $2000 per year
For families who will be going on OW after their private sponsorship ends, OW will also be able to assist with many of the costs above, but their limit is $1300 per family. Families cannot access the funds through both OW and HRC, so it is probably in their best interest for us to try to complete the applications here whenever possible, to maximize the funding available to them.
For more information, please contact:
Housing Resource Centre (HRC)
Community Counselling & Resource Centre (CCRC)
540 George Street North
Peterborough, ON K9H 3S2
Tel: 705-743-2272 ext 204