Founded in 1979, the New Canadians Centre Peterborough (NCC) is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to supporting immigrants, refugees and other newcomers in the City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton County, City and County of Peterborough and Northumberland County.
A vibrant and inclusive community where people who are new to Canada thrive and are valued.
We empower people who are new to Canada, so they can be recognized as equal and valued members of Canadian society, and we provide leadership to cultivate their meaningful economic, social, and cultural inclusion in our community.
Respect, Equity and Inclusion, Collaboration, Dedication, Celebration
- We will help people who are new to Canada thrive by investing in core programs and services that support and connect them to services, each other and the community
- We will create an environment where people who are new to Canada are valued by raising awareness of their positive contributions and by breaking down barriers to their equitable access and participation
- We will build a strong, resilient and sustainable organisation that can capitalize on opportunities, while responding quickly and proactively to emerging needs
Our Commitment to Anti-Racism
At the New Canadians Centre, we commit to making the pursuit of equity and inclusion our way of life.
We commit to empowering the newcomers and refugees we serve, by:
- Convening a newcomer and refugee-led advisory group to advise on programs and services
- Engaging newcomers and refugees in training to respond to racism and discrimination
- Helping newcomers and refugees to navigate opportunities to be leaders in the community.
We respectfully acknowledge that we are located on the Treaty 20 Michi Saagiig territory and in the traditional territory of the Michi Saagiig and Chippewa Nations, collectively known as the Williams Treaties First Nations, which include: Curve Lake, Hiawatha, Alderville, Scugog Island, Rama, Beausoleil, and Georgina Island First Nations.
We respectfully acknowledge that the Williams Treaties First Nations are the stewards and caretakers of these lands and waters in perpetuity and that they continue to maintain this responsibility to ensure their health and integrity for generations to come.
We are all Treaty people.