Since becoming a refugee welcome centre in April 2016, the New Canadians Centre has supported over 250 government assisted refugees (GARs) and continue to welcome new families to our community every month. We provide temporary housing, help families meet their urgent and basic needs on arrival, connect them to important medical and other services, introduce them to welcoming community members through our GAR Support group initiative, and support them in achieving their goals.
Ongoing - Afghan Resettlement in Peterborough
We are currently supporting the resettlement of 78 Afghans in our community.
We anticipate that many of them will stay in Peterborough for approximately 4 to 8 weeks and will want to live in the Toronto area permanently. But while they are with us, we will provide them with temporary housing, help them meet their basic needs, deliver basic orientations to life in Canada, and help them find permanent accommodations.
Visit our Afghan Resettlement page for updated information and ways to get involved.
You Can Support Refugees - GAR Support Groups
Each Government Assisted Refugee (GAR) family receives a Support Group comprised of community members volunteering their time to support the family's new life in Canada, welcome them to Peterborough, make friends and learn about other cultures. These groups assist new families throughout the integration process and help them navigate the community. Support groups have made a tremendous difference to the families who have arrived. Our goal is to match every family with a support group - you can help us reach that goal!
To learn about this opportunity, please visit our Volunteer page.
If new needs arise, we will update this page and social media.
Learn more about Lisa and Charles' stories as volunteer support group members in the links to the right.
Resources for GAR Support Groups
- NCC GAR Team Guide
- First Steps: An Orientation Guide for Newcomers (Federal Guide)
- An Introduction for Newcomers Settling in Ontario Guide
- Welcome to Peterborough - Newcomer Guidebook
- Notes from 13 April Refugee Support Symposium
- NCC Newsletter - learn about events at NCC and in the community
Resources for Sponsorship Groups
Any community group or group of five individuals can sponsor a refugee family. To sponsor a family, you need a desire to help and a one-year commitment to take care of all the family’s financial and other needs. Here is an information package about private sponsorship created by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough. For more information on sponsoring refugees, please contact our Settlement Services Coordinator.
Here are some resources to support sponsorship groups:
- Refugee Sponsorship Training Program
- Country of Origin information
- Settlement Plan Worksheet
- "Is there a refugee crisis in Europe, or just a crisis in the lack of refugee protection?" webinar by Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill, recorded live by the Oxford Human Rights Hub
- List of readings by Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill on refugees, aslyum-seekers, the EU and the UNHCR