The New Canadians Centre was designated as a Welcome Centre for Government-Assisted Refugees (GARs) in April 2016. Since then, we have welcomed new families to our community every month. Refugee families have arrived from a range of countries, including Syria, Iran, Cuba, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Afghanistan.
We provide temporary housing, help families meet their urgent and basic needs on arrival, connect them to important medical and other services, introduce them to welcoming community members, and support them in achieving their goals.
Since the start of the crisis in Ukraine in February 2022, we have also welcomed and supported many Ukrainian families arriving in Peterborough through the Canada-Ukraine Authorisation for Emergency Travel (CUAET).
Resettlement of Ukrainians in Peterborough
Housing is a key need for families arriving in our area. We have developed a partnership with Community Counselling & Resource Centre's Housing Resource Centre so that you can post your homestay listing.
We will direct our clients to this site so that they may find accommodation in our area that best fits their family’s needs.
The Housing Resource Centre will also provide you with resources and support as a HomeStay Host. They also send out listings for rental accommodation weekly.
Resettlement of Afghans in Peterborough
You Can Support Refugees - GAR Support Groups
Each Government-Assisted Refugee (GAR) family is matched to a Support Group comprised of community members volunteering their time to support the family's new life in Canada, welcome them to Peterborough, make friends and learn about other cultures. These groups assist new families throughout the integration process and help them navigate the community. Support groups have made a tremendous difference to the families who have arrived. Our goal is to match every family with a support group - you can help us reach that goal!
To learn about this opportunity, please visit our Volunteer page.
If new needs arise, we will update this page and social media.
Resources for GAR Support Groups
- NCC GAR Team Guide
- First Steps: An Orientation Guide for Newcomers (Federal Guide)
- An Introduction for Newcomers Settling in Ontario Guide
- Welcome to Peterborough - Newcomer Guidebook
- Notes from 13 April Refugee Support Symposium
- NCC Newsletter - learn about events at NCC and in the community
Resources for Sponsorship Groups
Any community group or group of five individuals can sponsor a refugee family. To sponsor a family, you need a desire to help and a one-year commitment to take care of all the family’s financial and other needs. Here is an information package about private sponsorship created by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough. For more information on sponsoring refugees, please contact our Manager of Settlement Services.
Here are some resources to support sponsorship groups:
- Refugee Sponsorship Training Program
- Country of Origin information
- Settlement Plan Worksheet
- "Is there a refugee crisis in Europe, or just a crisis in the lack of refugee protection?" webinar by Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill, recorded live by the Oxford Human Rights Hub
- List of readings by Dr Cathryn Costello and Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill on refugees, aslyum-seekers, the EU and the UNHCR