In March 2021, we launched the first cohort of the Newcomer Leadership Group to help newcomers and refugees to navigate opportunities to be leaders in the community.
The Newcomer Leadership Group is a 6-week leadership training program that supports newcomers in developing their capacity and confidence to engage in the community.
The Newcomer Leadership Group seeks to:
- provide support to newcomers who are looking to engage as volunteers and participate in decision-making processes in the Peterborough community, and
- expand the capacity for community organisations to include and integrate diverse perspectives in their practice.
The group is facilitated by Jenn Harrington and Lauren Hunter of Arising Collective. Training topics include:
- Opportunities for Community Engagement
- Telling my Story: Building Confidence in Public Speaking
- Introduction to Not-For-Profit Governance
- Leadership Competencies
- Non-Profit Finance 101 - Board Responsibilities
- Chairing a Meeting
- Managing Conflict
- Panel Discussion: My Road to Engagement
After the formal learning series, group members continue to meet informally and many work on collaborative group projects.
The first cohort developed the "Newcomers In Peterborough" Facebook group - where they serve as moderators of the group to support others in the community.
The second cohort put together food packages for One City Peterborough to support people experiencing homelessness.
The third cohort worked in pairs to research the significance of land acknowledgements and presented them at each meeting.