In March 2021, we launched the first cohort of the Newcomer Leadership Group to help newcomers and refugees to navigate opportunities to be leaders in the community.
The Newcomer Leadership Group is an 8-week leadership training program that supports newcomers in developing their capacity and confidence to engage in the community.
The Newcomer Leadership Group seeks to:
- provide support to newcomers who are looking to engage as volunteers and participate in decision-making processes in the Peterborough community, and
- expand the capacity for community organisations to include and integrate diverse perspectives in their practice.
The first cohort was facilitated by Jenn Harrington and Lauren Hunter of Arising Collective. Training topics included:
- Opportunities for Community Engagement
- Telling my Story: Building Confidence in Public Speaking
- Introduction to Not-For-Profit Governance
- Leadership Competencies
- Non-Profit Finance 101 - Board Responsibilities
- Chairing a Meeting
- Managing Conflict
- Panel Discussion: My Road to Engagement
After the formal learning series, the majority of the group continued to meet every two week to learn from and support each other through their highs and lows. They have developed a group project - the "Newcomers In Peterborough" Facebook group - and serve as moderators of the group to support others in the community.